On October 12th, UNI will be transitioning Google Hangouts to Google’s Google Chat. Chat has a modern UI, rooms that support better team collaboration, bots to help you be more productive, and much more. Hangouts will be available to use through hangouts.google.com but will be unavailable later this year.
How do I get Google Chat? It's important to do the following before classic Hangout apps will stop working:
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com
- Download the new mobile app for Android or iOS
- Download the new standalone desktop app if you've been using the classic Hangouts Chrome extension or app. You'll be able to access the desktop app from a prompt that will appear inside chat.google.com
- On October 12, if you use chat within Gmail it will transition from Hangouts to Google Chat.
Where do I find my old Hangout chats?
- You will be able to continue recent 1:1 direct messages from classic Hangouts in Google Chat, but group messages from classic Hangouts (including their history) will not be migrated to Google Chat.
- All previous chat history from classic Hangouts will be accessible in Gmail.
- The classic Hangouts web interface for chat, hangouts.google.com will remain available during this transition in case you need more time to access and move certain group conversations. Users cannot chat in classic Hangouts by visiting hangouts.google.com in a mobile browser.
- The classic Hangouts bot in Chat will also notify you of missed group messages from classic Hangouts.
What are the limitations of Chat?
- Group messages from classic Hangouts (including their history) will not be migrated to Chat. Users can still access these group messages in hangouts.google.com, for a limited period of time. If you have important group messages in classic Hangouts, we recommend that you recreate them as Rooms in the new Chat.
- Group direct messages and rooms that are started in the new Chat will not send messages to users who are still on the classic Hangouts apps.
Where do I go for help?
- G Suite Learning Center for more information about the new Chat
- Service Hub is ready to answer your questions
UNI G Suite Team