down arrowMenu

Information Technology

Audio and Video Production FAQ

Posted on Tuesday, June 17th, 2014

Frequently Asked Questions

How far in advance must I reserve the audio/video production facilities?

In general, requests for “simpler” productions must be received at least one week in advance of the recording date. More complex programming will extend the lead time somewhat.

Exactly how much will it cost to produce materials?

We charge by the hour, and the above question can only be answered if one is able to predict the number of hours that the project will take. This is difficult due to uncertainties about how long “performers” will take to deliver “lines” properly; how long our student production specialists will take to perform the activity satisfactorily; and how many hours of editing will be needed. This last concern is complicated by the need to know how many “edits” one will make (which is only obvious after the materials have been recorded). Estimates are available, but they are only general guides. We are glad to provide cost updates as the project progresses if needed.

How long will my project take to be completed?

We operate exclusively with students, who have academic major or practical work experience. Because of their need to attend classes and perform other instructional duties, and because of their limit of hours of work per week, they are unable to spend large amounts of time on an emergency project. Therefore, we ask our clients to try to accommodate this special work environment by giving our students as much lead time as possible.

How do I book the facilities?

The faculty coordinator for ITS/ET- Audio/Video Production Services is Joseph Marchesani. He books all audio and video production requests. Call extension 6299 or email: Requests are not entered into the work schedule until they are confirmed by Mr. Marchesani. For university vacation periods, you must contact us as soon as possible so that appropriate student staff may be located in time.

Who pays for the tapes and other materials used for a project?

The “master” copy of audio or video materials is provided free-of-charge if the finished product is available to the university community by being included in the ITS/ET Audio and Video catalogues. (This includes use on UNI Cable Channels and on the Cedar Falls City Channels dedicated in part to UNI). For other situations, media is charged back to the client.